Rencontres internationales de la photographie en Gaspésie came into being in 2010. An annual summertime event, it introduces the public to contemporary photographic creation, its language, its codes and its various esthetics through occupation of a particular region: the Gaspé Peninsula.
During the event, Rencontres presents the work of professional photographers (recognized and emerging) by way of an original and diversified programming built around exhibitions, artist residencies, projections, performances and other activities.
The festival is designed as a space for reflection and for initiation to photography, to art and to the current captured image, under the open sky and on the scale of a region that stretches over hundreds of kilometers.
Driven by values of conveyance, it supports and disseminates art with the idea of making it a creative matrix linked to the local population and to its audience.
THEME OF THE 2018 EDITION
In 2018, Rencontres will feature the theme of CHAOS. For this 9th edition it strikes us as necessary, essential even, to reach out to artists whose work allows us to reflect collectively on the artistic, social, political or ecological challenges of a planetary environment undergoing profound change.
This new edition calls on artists whose concerns make it possible to observe the evolution of the contemporary world and reveal its chaos in such a way that we have a better understanding of the issues involved. Rencontres will focus on proposals that embody a poetic or chaotic sensibility, and that in one way or another are intended as a response to chaos.
Rencontres is calling for proposals that allow us to outline what it is that sets the world in motion today, a work based on either the photographic image or on video:
- one that brings into play the impact of a political decision or methods of governance that have laid the foundation for the state of the world as it is today;
- that points out its imbalances, its limitations, and possible departures from these;
- that reveals the solutions taking place by means of artistic works and activities;
- that mobilizes the poetic as a committed gesture in the face of the world’s chaos.
PROPOSING A PROJECT
For the summertime edition of Rencontres:
Artists wishing to submit their project have until January 7, 2018, to do so.
The call for proposals is open to professional artists, to emerging artists and to students at photography schools in Canada.
Your application must contain the following elements:
- a description of the project proposed as part of the 2018 edition and on the theme of chaos, maximum 500 words
- an artist’s statement, maximum 300 words
- 10 pictures of recent work that clearly expresses your project (Mac-compatible jpg files, 1024 x 768 pixels with a 72 ppi resolution)
- a curriculum vitae
Send your proposal via Wetransfer or by e-mail including .zip file to: firstname.lastname@example.org